Small Pharma is currently recruiting for 8 therapist roles to be based at MAC Clinical Research Centre, Merseyside and contracted by MAC. There are 4 roles for full-time experienced therapists (2 senior and 2 junior) and 4 roles to provide cover for the trial therapists for planned leave or at short notice if any unplanned leave is taken.
Duties and responsibilities:
The post will include patient recruitment, screening, therapy, and follow-up. Additional responsibilities include organising schedules in accordance with the protocol, timely and accurate data collection, completing relevant training (e.g. Psychedelic Therapy, GCP), and, if applicable, supervision to junior members of the therapy team. Previous training or experience with the approach to psychedelic therapy is ideal but not required.
The post holders will be required to attend a training session prior to the start of the study (in mid-July 2021).
Further duties will/may include:
• To oversee the therapeutic components of the trial design
• To teach and provide mentorship for junior members of the therapist and clinical teams (senior posts only)
• To co-ordinate the care of their own caseload of clinical trial patients
• To liaise with patients and their care teams
• To recruit and screen patients into the relevant clinical trial
• To maintain good communication with nursing and clinical staff, ensure they are aware of the sensitivities involved in a psychedelic trial
• To work with patients through therapy and trial follow-up
• To undertake relevant training
• Take an active role in the setting up and coordination of a clinical research study
• To ensure the validity and reliability of data at all times
• To maintain accurate and complete recordings of all findings
• To assist with the publication of findings
• To run questionnaires and interviews with patients
• Ensure that both trainee and trained therapists are monitored and provided with support, where necessary, to deliver the Small Pharma Model with minimal drift
• Ensure all therapists are regularly assessed and that each therapist has an up-to-date training profile (senior posts only)
• Contribute to the overall strategy for the continued development of the Small Pharma Training Programme
• Plan and produce training materials, including presentations, videos, podcasts, experiential learning exercises and formative and summative assessments
• Core profession in mental health eg psychologist, counsellor, accredited psychological
therapist, psychiatric nurse, psychiatrist, mental health social worker
• Post qualification experience
• Experience of working with patients who present with complex mental health needs
• Experience of the provision of training and mentoring/supervision (senior posts only)
You must be a registered UKCP or BACP therapist or relevant equivalent, with relevant therapy training. You must have experience as a psychotherapist or equivalent working with patients with depression (inpatient or outpatient) and their families, and at least some knowledge of the therapeutic action of psychedelic drugs. It is also essential that you have skills in the rapid development of rapport with patients, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, have the ability to take a leadership role in collaborating with clinical and research teams (senior posts only), and is able to collect, organise and record data in a timely and reliable fashion. Finally, it is essential that you demonstrate ability to prioritise their own work in response to deadlines, to be open-minded and cooperative, and be warm, empathetic and caring towards trial participants.
All candidates must be registered self-employed either through a limited company or as a sole-trader. Contracts will be made with MAC and payment will be done by sending monthly invoices to MAC.
The 4 full-time posts are for 5 days per week, fixed term from 1st Aug 2021 until 1 February 2022, with the possibility of extending, and are based at MAC Clinical Research Centre at Merseyside, UK.
The therapist cover roles will be paid hourly.
A satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, at the appropriate level, will be required for the successful candidate.
Should you require any further details on the roles please contact, Dr Tiffanie Benway on firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your CV, if you are interested in applying.