This is a one year Foundation Course taught over 10 Saturdays, one each month between October 2020 and July 2021. There will be a maximum of 12 in the group.
The course is aimed at those who wish to proceed to a full clinical training in psychoanalytic psychotherapy, for those who just wish to sample what it is like to study psychoanalysis, and for those who wish to use psychoanalytic ideas in their existing job (e.g. in the arts or helping professions).
The teaching days run from 10am to 6.30pm and comprise four seminars and at the end of the day there is an experiential group. Induction runs for 10am to 2pm. The topics across the year are:
- 12th September 2020 - iNDUCTION
- 3rd October 2020 - “When we were very young” – communicating without words
- 7th November 2020 - Narcissism: omnipotence and the empty self.
- 12th December 2020 - Oedipus – three’s company, two’s a crowd!
- 9th January 2021 - Sex, love and intimacy – attempts to relate
- 6th February 2021 - Death instinct – dicing with death – addictions and other attacks on the self
- 13th March 2021 - Psyche-soma: hysteria in the 21st century
- 24th April 2021 - Trauma: the psyche overwhelmed
- 15th May 2021 - War and peace: aggression – a creative or destructive force?
- 12th June 2021 - Self and society – a false distinction?
- 17th July 2021 - Research: how can we know psychoanalysis works? Clinical boundaries and ethical dilemmas
Applications open on 1st October 2019 and close on 30th June 2020. There is an application fee of £50 (under review) to cover the cost of the application process and selection interview. Applications are dealt with on a first-come first-served basis.
Students can opt either for a certificste of attendance or if they wish to gain a Certificate then they must submit and pass a writtern assignment. The minimum attendance requirement is 80%.
For those who want it, progress to the 3 year clinical training requires a pass in the written assignment and is subject to two further selection intervews.